For many geotechnical applications where fill material is required, cellular concrete is often the most economical material choice.
Many benefits come from reducing density including reduced structural weight, low lateral loads, larger net payloads for precast and reduced load on substrate.
Cellular concrete can provide thermal insulation for foundations, floors & walls inside or outside of any structure. Density of 50 pcf has a R value of approximately 1.2 per inch.
Applications & Benefits with Cellular Concrete
- Sink holes, wells, tunnels, cisterns, abandoned utility pipes, annular grouting
- Flows easily and provides reduced weight on soil
- Creates a strong base while reducing burden on subsoils
- Protects and supports utility line, reduces costs and traffic closures
- Eliminates need for compaction
- Excellent alternative, and in many cases the preferred material choice
- Prevents later soil settlement and subsequent dips in the road
- Eliminates post-construction settling
- Won’t compress over time, creating a “dip” in a bridge or overpass approach
- Lateral loads against the existing abutment are greatly reduced
- Lateral load greatly reduced
- Can also greatly reduce potential damage to the geogrid during the backfill process
- For sound control and visual blocking
- Cost saving potential due to weight savings
- Precast variable density cubes or pour on location
- Reduces structural weight while maintaining quality of concrete floor
- Leveling and replacement of gypsum based mixes
- Reduces weight
- Provides thermal & sound insulation
- Moderate slopes are possible
- Reduces weight & cost
- Reduces transport costs – allows more pieces per truck
- Easier installation
- Provides thermal insulation
- Faster installation than granular fills
- Reduces hydrostatic lateral load foundation
- Cast on site tilt-up or panel assemblies
- Reduces weight and cost below full density concrete wall
- More soundproof & fire resistant that stud wall
- Proper mix design will be self-leveling
- Can greatly speed base construction & improve load capacity
- 40-60 PCF range can be carved and shaped with chainsaws, hand tools, and other methods, to create artwork from a unique medium
- Sound deadening of concrete is well known, and with the millions of air voids entrained within cellular concrete, it performs even better.
High Flowability – Easy Pumpability
Challenging fill applications are made easy with cellular concrete. It’s reduced density ensures 100% void fill and low pumping pressures.